July 17, 2014
Competition is fierce in the fishing industry. Whether you’re competing to make the next greatest crankbait or trying to win a fishing tournament, it seems everyone in the business has an extreme will to win.
Case in point, the annual ICAST New Product Showcase is one of the premier attractions of the show. It’s more than a showcase though; it’s a battle of marketing and product promotion.
Companies in the fishing industry who make swag ranging from rods and reels to kayaks to home décor are all eligible to enter their newest products into the showcase, where members of the media vote on the best in each of the 24 categories. In some cases, company spokesmen spend a month or more pumping up their entries to the media in hopes that for the next year they’ll be able to promote a product as a New Product Showcase winner.
The competition came to a head last night at a banquet held in the Orange County Convention Center, when the 2014 ICAST New Product Showcase winners were announced. A few winners surprised the attendees, while others predictably took the title in their respective categories.
Here’s the complete list of winners. Chek out FLW's photo galleries for images and descriptions of the best new products:
- Best of Show - Predator XL (kayak)
- Lifestyle Apparel - Pelagic 4TEK Fish Finder Boardshort
- Technical Apparel - STORMR Fusion Bib
- Boating Accessory - Minn Kota Ulterra Trolling Motor
- Boats - Predator XL (kayak)
- Combo - Lew’s American Hero Baitcast Combo
- Electronics - Humminbird ONIX 8SI
- Eyewear - Costa Hamlin with 580P Lens
- Fishing Accessory - Lit Industries Lit Coolers
- FishSmart Tackle - Cuda Grip & Scale
- Fly Fishing Accessory - Plastica Panaro SRL – M2300 – Fly Caddy
- Fly Fishing Reel - 3STAND TF – 70 Sealed Fly Reel
- Fly Fishing Rod - G. Loomis PRO4x Short Stix
- Freshwater Reel - Abu Garcia Revo Beast
- Freshwater Rod - Duckett Fishing Micro Magic Pro
- Footwear - Columbia Sportswear Megavent PFG
- Giftware - Helter Skeletons Authentic Skeletal Articulation
- Kids’ Tackle - ZEBCO Splash Combos
- Line - Berkley IronSilk
- Hard Lure - SPRO BBZ-1 Rat
- Soft Lure - Savage Gear 3-D PVC Crab
- Saltwater Reel - PENN Battle II Spinning
- Saltwater Rod - Terez Stand Up
- Tackle Management - ENGEL UC30 – RH
- Terminal Tackle - TroKar TK619